cotton wool clouds are drifting over the brilliant blue sky...


on this Monday morning. It is a fabulous autumn day with a very early morning mist that has now been burnt off by the hot September sunshine.I hadn't realised how much the weather impacts our lives and how much I enjoy seeing the changes in light and atmosphere. I wanted something nice and old in the way of card for some textile swatches I have been making to go with my booklet for the exhibition. Whilst rummaging away on the junk market I found a box of old postcards and started sorting out the most old and faded unused postcards. They were being sold at 20p each so I was being careful how many I was choosing, then the lady said oh go on have the box for a fiver what could I say ! That appears to be how I end up with a variety of things but  when I look back these have ended up being very influential in my work. I came home with this old shoe box full of postcards and thought why ? why did I fall for that again ! They sat in the corner of my room like an elephant that wouldn't go away! I started to see if they would work as backings for my textile swatches. Yes they did,  I even loved the hand written messages on the back. I drifted away from stitching to sitting reading these cards looking at the postmarks and working out how old they were. I have ones posted pre-war and during the war it is amazing they are very English and capture  a very British obsession with the weather! I have enjoyed reading them and have some put to one side that are just lovely. My creatures needed names and some already had them but snippets from these cards became their names summoning up a way of life a nostalgic reference to our past and present. They fitted so neatly it was amazing , each story felt complete. Duckie has delivered her post and is on her way having done her job. This morning I was wondering whom you haven't seen yet (there are alot) I thought you might like to see one of my big birds before he goes away. He's very important and  always busy carrying his drawing pencils with him...




Comments

Popular Posts